Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The fighting couple and some fireworks

After Piha and saying goodbyes to the girl I actually felt that NZ was done for me. I was not interested in being a tourist anymore somehow and had this urge to leave NZ behind.  I'm sorry north island, I know I skipped many places I should have seen there but you're not going anywhere. I'll be back someday.

I'm not sure if I believe that a every time a door closes, another one opens  but this time I really felt like that. I was browsing through Facebook when I noticed an add on my friends timeline. There I was, ready to leave NZ but not sure what to do next. This time the answer came trough Facebook.
I sent a message to my friend considering the add and started to plan my next move, aka searching flights.
Piece of art, street art.
The landmark of Auckland

Before my flight there was still one thing to experience in NZ. New years eve. It's not every year that you spend your new years eve in a country where it basically changes first, excluding Kiwis of course. As a surprise, not least to my self, I ended up spending my new years eve totally sober. Not even a glass of sparkling. I'm full of surprises =)

I decided to witness the fireworks and expected something phenomenal and huge was the disappointment, as usual when you have high expectations. When the fireworks ended I thought that now the "big guns" finally begins and were gonna see a spectacular show. 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds. "Really, this was it?!?!?!"

Here's a clip from the beginning of the fireworks.

The last days in Auckland I just spent trying to save money and I spent quite a lot of time at the hostel. I met a young German girl who was on her first trip as a backpacker  and it was her first night in NZ. She was staying in my dorm and ended up having a memorable first night in a hostel, unluckily not in the very best way. This is what went happened.
I was trying to sleep but kept waking up all the time since there was someone banging a door on my corridor. At some point it changed into constant knocking and I was like "Come on already". I don't know for how long that person was trying to get in but it was a long time since I kept falling asleep and waking up. At some point the person must have gotten in since then the shouting started. So the shouting kept on going for some time and every now and then I heard loud bangs. Something hitting against something. Domestic violence in a hostel, or that's what it sounded like. Oh boy. After some more time I could hear a woman crying and shouting in the corridor, 5 metres from my room. I rose and went to see what was going on. There was a girl sobbing how her boyfriend had hit and strangled her. The guy was lying in their bed and asking her to calm down. They were both quite wasted. The girl said that the guy had tried to kill her and that he had taken all her money, credit cards and the passport. Actually the guy murmured that he had thrown the passport out of the window. Oh my... There were of course a bunch of people awake and witnessing this crap. I hadn't actually seen anything physical happen so I couldn't say what had actually happened. I asked the girl what she was about to do and she just kept telling that she needs to get away from him. Totally reasonable to be honest. She grabbed her backpack and hauled it downstairs. All the other bystanders withdrew to their rooms shaking their shoulders like it was not their business and in a way they were correct but I couldn't let it be. No, I didn't try to be a hero and rough up the guy. He would have probably kicked my ass. I went after the girl and found her sobbing in the hallway downstairs next to the front door. There happened to be a free bed in my room so I asked her to get some sleep there and settle things in the morning. She agreed to it and managed to get some sleep in my room.
I didn't see the couple the next day so I thought that they had checked out but I guess they were just suffering from the hangover and embarrassment because the day after that they got drunk again. Totally. This time the guy luckily passed out early on at the balcony so no fighting until the wee hours when he woke up again. Nothing serious this time I guess.
The joys of hostel life =) Oh, the girl did thank me and apologise many times so she appreciated the help.

No comments:

Post a Comment