Sunday, October 11, 2015

...and finally to the festivities...

Somehow Oktoberfest has never been on my bucket list which I don’t even btw have. I don't know why. Maybe it’s because I like to drink my alcohol (in this case beer) in a bit more intimate occasions and places. 
This time I got an proposal I couldn’t refuse. Free accommodation with 4 ladies and therefore a local guide(s) and of course the ride with Jenni from Velbert. Also I can finally say that I’ve been there. I don’t know why but I’ve been asked that some many times on my travels but now It’s dealt with. 

Expectations: 
Expensive beer and expensive food in a fully crowded “tents”. Ladies with Dirndls and guys with Lederhosen.

The experience:
Expensive beer and expensive food (quality was way better than expected though) in a fully crowded “tents”. Ladies with Dirndls and guys with Lederhosen. Oh yeah, and the beer is stronger than your basic beer so you don’t have to drink as much. 

Aforesaid might sound a little bit too negative even though it is the truth. Don't get me wrong, I managed to have fun. Special thanks to our great hostess Manuela!
It was a beautiful Saturday and it started with some sparkling wine and some other spirits that I had found to be good the last evening after the drive. Ladies put on their faces aka make up and the Dirndls. I decided to wear my salmon red shirt. Just for the ladies. 
"Nooo, don't take a picture. I haven't brushed my teeth!!"
There's some Dirndls and woman beauty for your eyes!
Luckily we were situated only about 15 minutes from the main event so it didn’t take us long to get there. First stop was the “Drunken Hill”. I was explained that it’s the place where people go to have a pitstop. Pitstop in this case meant vomiting, sleeping or pissing on a public place or all of them. I think it was only about 1pm and I saw all above mentioned in action. Sorry, no pictures about penises or vomiting. 
"Drunken Hill"


"No sir, I'm not sure if I like it!"

As you can see from the pictures there was quite a lot of people. Well Oktoberfest is the biggest festival in the world so no big surprise. The problem was that it’s impossible just to enjoy walking in there at least if you’re sober. It is also impossible to get into the beer tents unless you have connections, a reservation or you’re extremely lucky and don’t mind waiting for hours. Luckily after some waiting in a a loaded beer garden someone pulled some strings and we got into one of the tents. The Augustiner tent. I was told that it is one of the most traditional tents and therefore not so full of people, rowdy or wild. For me it seemed rowdy enough and there definitely was enough people. I can’t even imagine the mayhem in other tents. 
That was one delicious half a chicken. Far better then expected. 
...and there were more on the way. 
There’s some footage from inside the tent and of course some pictures. 
There's my lady company for the day. Yay!

"Really, do we have to go there?"

To summarise: Worlds biggest fare with ten’s of thousands drunken people. Ferris wheels, carousels, ghost houses, peanuts, cotton candy etc. 
It might be that I don’t go again but I’m happy I did it. 


ps, There’s also one cool fact about Oktoberfest. My father visited in Oktoberfest exactly 50 years ago so I’m continuing his legacy :D




No comments:

Post a Comment