Friday, October 9, 2015

Oktoberfest, here we come.

Before I’m going to tell you about the Oktoberfest extravaganza I have to tell you about the “road trip” to Munich. Well, we knew (me and Jennifer) that it’s gonna be a long day and we knew it was Friday and it also happened to be the day when the holidays begin in that part of Germany we were in. Still we somehow quite didn’t expect traffic to be that bad, I guess and the roadworks didn't help the situation. I calculated that if we are in Munich before midnight it would be ok. We had 650km to drive and totally not alone on the road :D We managed to leave Velbert in schedule aka about 3pm if I remember correctly and the first kilometres were fine but then the traffic jams begun. I was perfectly fine on the passenger seat reading and napping but I guess the driver wasn’t that happy about the situation. 

When the mysterious beeping started after 200km I started to get a little bit worried. Jenni told me that she knew what it was and that it had happened before. It seemed that driving about the speed of a snail in a traffic jam for some time wasn't satisfying the engine’s cooling system. So now our dear Citroen was telling us to cool down the engine. Well, what can you do in when you're jammed in traffic and there’ no place to stop the car. You hope for the best and that was what I did. “Please let us gain speed soon so that the engine cools down!” “Jenni, you might wanna check the cooling liquid at some point.”

After some kilometres the roadworks finally ended (for some time) and the traffic returned to normal. Thanks to that the annoying beeping also stopped as the engine got some more fresh air. All good! 
Quick stop at about 400km and I hopped to the drivers seat. Autobahn, here I come! People always tell you how cool it would be to drive on the autobahn since there are no speed limits. Well I saw quite a lot of speed limits but I guess there was also some parts without those where you could try how fast your is or how fast you dare to drive but in our case we had to keep the speedometer somewhere between 110km/h and 130km/h. Not because the car couldn’t have gone  any faster but because of this utterly annoying sound that the windshield started making if you drove faster than that. Even between those speeds you had to find the correct speed according to all the conditions including wind, temperature and the position of moon. Not to forget the gravitation. The windshield started resonating every now and then and there was just no way to tell what caused except the speed of course. 

Then begun the dark period of our ride and I mean literally and figuratively. Jennifer's mobile died at some point and hence we were using my mobile as a navigating device. While I was driving Jennifer got hers mobile working again and now we had two “GPS´s" on. You can guess what happened. The other one told you to go left and the other one told you to go right. We drove past one intersection where we should have probably turned but since the two “navigators” were disagreeing I decided to stay on my line and just go forward. After some time we decided to follow Jennifer’s mobile’s directions, which was totally fine by me, in the beginning. At some point the navigation app told us to head off from the main road  and that is what we did, unfortunately. I was about to turn back and I even said to Jenni that we can still turn back but…
I seriously hoped that it was gonna be a sweet short cut and it just might have been a nice ride with some daylight but cruising through narrow streets between fields and small villages just aint so much fun when you can’t see a thing and you still got 200km to Munich and it’s already late. 

We (I) tried to keep up the spirits but Jenni was about to fall in despair ;) I told her that it’s impossible to get lost, it just might take a little bit longer to get to Munich. After some interesting choices of roads and like one hour of total despair we were on a big road again. Yay! 

We managed to get into Munich even earlier than I predicted but hey, pessimist don’t get disappointed! 


Oh yes, the Octoberfest. I just have to make another post on that. Muahhahahahaa

2 comments:

  1. Voe teitä, miten voi mennä noin vikaan? navigaattorin vika :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that that you can make cash by locking selected pages of your blog / site?
    To begin just open an account on AdWorkMedia and use their Content Locking plugin.

    ReplyDelete