Saturday, July 11, 2015

....and to that last place I went (<--straight continuity from my previous post)

...and as a result I woke up 12.30pm next "morning" wearing exactly the same things I wore the previous night. I guess I was a bit tired =)
The only problem was that the checkout time had been at noon and I was supposed to go to a Bako national park for two nights. So I jumped from my bed, took my toothbrush and combed my hair with my fingers. Stepped in to the common are where the guy managing the hostel gave me a thumbs up and a smile. I pointed my wristwatch (3 euros from a market) and shrugged my shoulders apologizingly for sleeping late but the guy gave me an expression that everything is fine. The guy was mute so that's how we communicated. Not that I always understood everything he was trying to "say" but who cares. A sweet guy.
I packed my stuff and headed to the bus station. 

Bako was by far the best national park so far I had been in Malaysia. Nice trails, lots of wildlife and decent food. What else can one want. The second day I hiked 18km in 30+ degrees with extreme humidity. I can admit that after that I was completely done. The terrain wasn't the easiest one. Scrub with hilly trails full of roots but it felt good. Here's some pictures from there. This is when you are allowed to envy a little bit.

This is how you get to Bako. Btw, I'm standing in water

Dead jellyfish 
A wild bearded hog 
"Tickle tickle tickle" 


This is one of my best pictures
Me being a major rebel (scum)! <--There's a nerdy joke
included ;) 

Panorama from the end of one trail. I was the only one there.
Sweet!
 After Bako I had a deadly 16 hours bus drive to the next destination, Miri. To be honest it wasn't that bad. Time passed faster than I thought. Borneo wasn't as crowded as west Malaysia so I was back to no bookings-drill and first looked for an Visitors info. Got the map and some advices where to find accommodation. Ended up having a dorm of my own once again but I wasn't complaining. Being such a long time on the road kind of "burns" the need of meeting other travellers in every place =)

As soon as I was on the wifi grid I noticed that I had got a message from the Chef (the biker guy from Kutching) saying he's got a friend in Miri If I wanna meet him and he had already called him for heads up. WhyNot ;) I send the friend an sms message and scheduled a "date" with him for the next day....

To be continued...


1 comment:

  1. The scenery is perfect, yes. But the bits of envy seem to fade away with the combination of 18 km, 30 degrees and extreme humidity. So, no question you deserved it all till the very last ray of light before sunset.

    ReplyDelete