Tuesday, July 28, 2015

"It's a date!" (<--straight continuity from my previous post, again)

And so I was set for one of the most absurd meetings of my whole journey so far. I agreed to meet with Chef's friend the next day. The guy, from now on Kingsley, asked me to visit his shop and so I headed to the given address.
When I opened the door to a small shop filled with motorbike related stuff I was greeted by a woman carrying an infant.
"Hello, I'm looking for Kingsley?"
"Yes, he's my husband. He's at the restaurant next door but will be here in a minute. I'll just give him a call"

One phone call later a friendly looking guy entered the shop with a big smile on his face and I instantly got a feeling I was gonna like this dude. You know, there's always a risk with "blind dates" =)
Miri is known for it's oil business. This is a
statue off the first oil tower in Miri
What happened next doesn't sound that cool or amazing to you dear readers but for me it was quite extraordinary. One of the Kingsley's first words was "Kauhava" and whilst saying that he made a stabbing gesture. I was like WTF?!?!? I instantly knew what he was talking about but just couldn't stop laughing. How is it possible that a random Malaysian guy in Borneo knows Kauhava and can even relate it with it's history with knives. My Finnish readers already knows how absurd this is but for the rest of you: Kauhava is a small city on the west coast of Finland and known for it's knife making industry but also being the region of Finland where life used to be cheap and stabbings were common back in the days. People from that region still carry knives on their folk costumes. So there I'm in the middle of Borneo and a person that has never been to Finland is telling me about Kauhava and stabbings.  The story I was told was even more absurd. I'm not gonna try to repeat it here because of the "broken telephone" effect but I try to summarise it:
A Malaysian biker guy was in Helsinki and got a phone number from a local biker pointing out to Kauhava and decided to head there even though even the police asked if he really wanted to go there. He went there anyway and was interviewed by a local journalist just because he didn't seem to be from Kauhava ;) But the most unbelievable thing is that he met his bike building hero in Kauhava. Kingsley told me that they've been reading a magazine called "Kopteri" which I also was familiar with and that the Malaysian biker in Kauhava recognised this one Finnish biker builder because he had seen him on Kopteri. Unbelievable. Then Kingsley showed me Malaysian biker magazines and there were pictures of Kauhava and Finnish bikes. They really appreciate Finnish bike making skills in Malaysia. Just so absurd.
Well, It was time to drop wifey and kid to their home and go drink some beer and eat bbq pork tongue. Thank you Kingsley one more time. It was a blast and hope to see you again soon.
There's Pattaya but quite a few places from
Finland also. Kauhava, Lapua, Jyväskylä etc.
This is a t-shirt being sold in Kingsley's shop
And the pond was almost half a meter deep...
What do you think of the waterfall by the way?


No comments:

Post a Comment