Monday, June 6, 2016

2nd anniversary baby!

Two years ago this day exact day I was at the Helsinki-Vantaa airport in Finland waiting for my flight to Düsseldorf and writing my first entry to this blog with a glass of sparkling wine. I was in the beginning of an great unknown. I only had my first destination decided and after that I was gonna go with the flow. That's what I've been doing ever since till this day. I've been to 19 different counties on this journey (so far) on two continents, Eurasia and Australia. Some of the countries twice. I've fulfilled one of my travelling dreams and spent two months in the beautiful New Zealand even though I wasn't sure if I'm gonna ever get all the way there. Luckily my friends pushed me towards that decision. I've been to countries that I had never even thought about going into, for example Albania, which happens to still be one of my favourites on this trip and I ain't kidding. 

As I am writing this entry in Dalat in my usual cafe I must say that I also never thought that I would be working as a professional musician in Vietnam. This is the reason why I didn't want to make plans in the beginning. If I had had my trip plotted and flights booked I wouldn't be here now enjoying quite a relaxing life. Everything good has come to an end nevertheless and so is my bass players career here in Vietnam coming to an end, at least for some time. But I won't go to that topic more than this on this entry. 

I don't know exactly what I wanted to say to you my dear readers but when I woke up this morning I just felt a strong urge to write something on this glorious second anniversary day. 

I guess one of the feelings that is on the top of my mind is how blessed I am to be able to do what I've been doing for the last two years. I understand that I belong to a extremely small minority who are actually able, but also, and maybe even more so, willing to live a life as a drifter/expat/backpacker. Because in the end my current life style is more about will than the possibility. It's way too easy to think up excuses why one couldn't do the same. This is not for everybody though. Most of us need the security of knowing what's gonna happen in the future. I instead enjoy not knowing what I'm gonna do or what's gonna happen. More than anything, this journey has strengthened my self confidence. I know that I will always somehow manage and survive. 

If you didn't raise a glass for my birthday, please raise a glass for me for my second anniversary (and even if you did for the bday)! I know I'm gonna do some glass raising today....muahahahhahaaa.

Teemu "Oooops, I played a wrong note" Paananen.



No comments:

Post a Comment