Wednesday, March 9, 2016

One way to do kayaking

I Woke up way too early after having a really bad night because of mosquitos so I wasn't in the best mood but was looking forward to do some kayaking with my friend Daniella. I picked Daniella 8am and we headed for breakfast with her Vietnamese friend. I know, it's not that early but if you play music till 11pm the previous day your adrenaline wont let you fall asleep like that.

Anyhow, I was exited to do some kayaking at the beautiful Paradise like in Dalat.
Paradise Lake
So we get to the resort that has the kayaks. We divide into two two groups. I take the single person kayak and the ladies take a two person kayak. I've done kayaking before so just in case something happens I store my mobile (which I needed to have with me) into the water proof compartment just to be on the safe side. No problems on getting on the kayak (sit-on-top kayak) for any of us so off we go. After like 10 minutes of kayaking the shit hits the fan.

I feel my ass getting wet and I'm like "what the f***?" I realice that my kayak is sinking rapidly. I try to kayak to the nearest shore as fast as possible and the girls on another kayak are telling me to hurry up. Like I didn't know that one. 2 meters before the shore the kayak capsizes and there I go with it. My shoes, socks and my bag all in the water. At this point the girls are laughing out loud and so am I. Then I remember my mobile..."Well, luckily I put it into the water proof compartment!"

Yes, for once I was clever enough to execute some safety protocols, but, and there's a big but. The problem was that the water proof compartment would have indeed saved my phone if the kayak would only have capsized but the problem was that since sit-on-top kayaks are hollow, and this particular kayak was missing one pretty important cap that prevents the water from getting inside the kayaks hull, where the "water proof compartment" also is in a form of a not so water proof synthetic fibre "bag", my mobile was soaking wet and short circuiting when I got it from the compartment. I also noticed that my mp3 player was in my pocket.....

Well, at least the girls were laughing....



No comments:

Post a Comment