Monday, November 9, 2015

I finally made it all the way here my dear readers and friends. I'm now doing one of my all time dream destinations!

I'm always a little bit nervous when I cross a border or when I'm at the immigration control of an airport. There's basically no reason for me to be nervous since I never try to smuggle anything and my papers are in order but still. Maybe it's the fact that the officials have the power and the rights to deny your entry. Well whatever it is this time I had a reason to be a little bit nervous since I was trying my luck with entering my present country without a ticket out. Most of the countries don't demand one but some countries are quite strict about it. One of my friends forged a flight booking with copy&paste method when he was entering Taiwan. He even needed to present it when he was entering the country but he made it.
So when I booked my flight here in Nuremberg the lady at the travelling agency urged me to buy a ticket out of this country to make sure I would get in and I kind of decided to do it in Taiwan but I had some second thoughts there. Why should I buy a ticket when I don't even know how long I'm gonna stay and from where to fly and more importantly to where. I decided that If the immigration really needs to see a ticket out of here I would just buy one at the immigration. I also had a explanation why I don't have a ticket out in my mind. My cunning plan was ready!
So there I was queuing in line and listening to all the questions that the officials were asking the people in front of me and decided to switch lanes from my highly officious female officer's line to a line with way more relaxed seeming older gentleman official. They took one guy in front of me to a more specific questioning and then it was my turn. Fingers crossed people because if this would fail the officials could just send me back to Taiwan or somewhere else. Then it was my turn.
-Purpose of your visit?
-Just traveling around.
-How long are you gonna stay?
-90 days
-90 days?
-Well I reckon that as a Finnish citizen I'm allowed to stay 90 days without visa so that's it. I'm not sure If I'm gonna stay that long though...
-Well that is true. So you not sure how long you're gonna stay.
-Nope.
-Do you got a ticket out of *** ********?
-No I don't. I'm planning to go to ********* on a ship but I couldn't find any ticket's online so I'm gonna buy one once find one.
-Where you gonna stay here?
-In hostels.
-Where you heading first?
-Well first I'm gonna spend one night here but then I'm heading to ********. I've got a friend there.
-Enjoy your stay then. Welcome to New Zealand sir.

And that is how I entered the country that I've always wanted to visit. As teenager when everyone were eager to go to Australia I couldn't have cared less since I wanted to see New Zealand. My unplanned journey has also now reached some kind of peak/goal/savepoint/climax since my only decision when I left Finland was that I'm wanna see New Zealand at some point. To be honest I was quite sure at one point that my journey ain't gonna bring me here and I was totally fine with the thought but now I'm here. Thanks to my friends who pushed me into this direction. Jiiiihaaaa!

ps: to those who are wondering if I'm gonna head back to Finland after touring around New Zealand I can only say, I don't know. I don't have a clue what I'm gonna do after NZ. So stay tuned for updates from NZ and of course the amazing pictures.
Selfie a day keeps the doctor away! (I couldn't only post text)

2 comments: