Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Back at the Old Continent! Yar!

Having spent some quality time in Bangkok it was time to head back to Europe. Last time In Europe was in October 2015 when I flew from Frankfurt to Taipei. This time I was flying to Vienna via Abu Dhabi. I don’t usually give a shit which airline I’m using, I just want to get from A to B cheap and safely with my luggage. I have to say that my experience with Etihad Airlines was quite brilliant. When is the last time that you ate with actual metallic cutlery in a plane? Service was top notch and the food was slightly better than the average in flight meal. I can highly recommend! 

Change of planes in Abu Dhabi and I was in Vienna around 7am 8th of July. My first reaction: Where’s everybody? What has happened? Did aliens finally abduct 90% of the population? 
I mean after SEA Europe is just one empty concrete world. It’s been a while since I have felt as strange as I felt that day. I was walking in the suburbs of Vienna and there’s just no one there. I mean I guess they were all working or something like that. The other side of the coin was the easiness of everything. I mean I know the foods, the transportation, how people act…It was like being back home but far from it…hard to explain. 
Me and Kathi
Anyway, it was time for my second reunion of my European tour 2016 but Kathi, an Austrian girl whom I met in Vietnam in 2015, needed to work till 5pm or so. Luckily she had a friend staying at the place where we were gonna spent the first night so I just needed to wait for her to wake up. After couple of hours and a lot of coffee me and Kathi found out that she had not even spend the night in that apartment and I needed to go to the other side of Vienna to get the key. I was a bit annoyed to be honest but then again originally I was prepared to wait all the way till 5pm for Kathi to finish her work so I was kind of happy just to get a shower and a nap after two long flights from Bangkok.
One nighter in Vienna just to catch up and the next morning I had one thing I had really missed in SEA. Proper western breakfast with fresh rolls, cold cuts, ham, salami, cheeses. OMG. I was in heaven to be honest. I don’t think I have made that much approving grunts and sighs in a long time :D Must have been kind of annoying to Kathi ;D
Austria's only and never used nuclear power plant.
I find it quite interesting the they actually built it and then
deiced to have a referendum whether to open it or not.
You crazy Austrians! =)
I’ve been to Vienna before so I had told Kathi that we don’t need to spend anytime over there and therefore we headed to her home village, Zwentendorf. Countryside! The volunteer firefighters were having a festival to raise some money for equipment in this 4000 resident village. Beer, vine, food, music, the basics. 
My fellow Finns, have a look at these prices.
Outrageous! It's too cheap!
Wild boar and deep fried chicken. Good!

To be honest, I got pretty drunk that night. It was just so cool to drink good and cheap wines&beers with nice people and enjoy some wild boar. There’s definitely some good aspects on being back in Europe.
One of my all time favourite pictures, on my right the mayor of
Zwentendorf and on my left the chief of the fire department.
It's good to have friends in high places! ;D
We went back to the festival the next day and the chief of the fire department (the dude in the precious picture) kept shouting "kippis" every time he saw me. Kippis is cheers in Finnish and I taught it to him the previous night. It was so funny to hear it every half an hour with an Austrian accent and always when I was least expecting it. I almost crapped  my pants a couple of times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment